Monday, August 3, 2009

Nickname Month - Tony Battie

In the second installment of Nickname Month, I am faced with another new Net - Tony Battie. This is quite a challenge. For one thing, he is probably one of the most generic centers in the NBA, with career averages of 7/5. He's not good, he's not bad, he's just...there. I would put him in my "all-generic" starting line-up, which consists of Battie, Joe Smith, Anthony Parker, Mario Elie, and Travis Best. It is no wonder why he already does not have a nickname.

The other aspect of Battie is that he is basically just an expiring contract. I highly doubt he will be with the Nets after this season, or even by the end of the season! I'm not going to get too attached to this guy.

So, for these reasons, I am not going to expend too many brain cells trying to come up with an amazing nickname. So, I am going to go back to the NBA player "free association" game my friends and I play (as demonstrated in episode one of the Brad Bogner Show). So, looking at Battie, what's the first nickname that pops into my head?

Sweet Tea

Yeah, it's corny, but I'm slowly getting used to it. I think "Sweet" can also be applied in various permutations for Battie - Sweetness, Sweet Anthony, Sweet Battie, etc.

Do you have a cooler nickname for Sweet Tea? Let me hear it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment